In order to find a peaceful solution to the conflict and instability in the Amhara region, 8 civil society organizations jointly issued a statement “calling for peace and lasting solution”.
👉 Center for Development of Rights and Democracy (CARD)
👉 Ethiopian Human Rights Defenders Center
👉 Ethiopian Lawyer Women’s Association
👉 Coalition of Ethiopian Women’s Associations
👉 New Powerhouse
👉 Union of Ethiopian Women and Children Associations
👉 Lawyers for human rights
👉 Union of Ethiopian Human Rights Organizations
They are a feminist movement.
The organizations said they are very concerned about the conflict in Amhara region.
Therefore, the relevant bodies:
– Civil societies, political parties, religious institutions, mass media and elders to do their part to push for peaceful resolution of conflicts in order to find ways to resolve conflicts through peaceful means; That the peace efforts and agreements started in other regions of Ethiopia be made between the parties active in the Amhara region and the federal and regional governments;
– Armed conflicts should be guided by human rights and humanitarian laws and the safety of innocent people should be protected; To prevent human rights violations, gender-based violence, and other harms from occurring in other parts of Ethiopia in the region, and to establish an accountability system;
– During the implementation of the emergency declaration, the security forces should not use disproportionate force, ethnic discrimination and attacks should not spread and mass arrests should not take place;
– Social media influencers and mass media to implement a conflict-oriented approach, to prevent the spread of false and distorted information, and to avoid aggravating the conflict by delivering only information that reflects the truth to the citizens;
– They called for detailed instructions and regulations to be issued to implement the emergency declaration to be delivered to the citizens in accessible options.
(Full statement attached above)